Monday, August 29, 2005

The Downtown of the Apocalypse.
















If you are like me, the afterlife is a constant question in your existence, I do not use it as simplistic Born-Again's do as a deterrent for doing bad, as I have morals and ethics for that, but more as a kinetic question as to the release of the energy I have put into this life (very little but still some). Some look at life as a battery expiring, I look at it more as a battery charging with insight accomplishment, vast huge monuments to my masculinity, like spires, peers, and skyscrapers, and huge submarines….oh wait I’m not short. (Sorry for the dig 1/3 of the world, my bad). But in all honesty I think there must be a release of the gathered knowledge of ones life, even if it is dissipation into ether. But must…soo this brings me back to the after life question, and as simplistic as it sounds I think now maybe there is a hell or at least a purgatory.
Now I know when I was thirteen I mathematically proved that purgatory could not exist through a Socratic dialogue with my father that follows;

Me- Now father, you have told of this punishment purgatory, it is a temporary place is it not?

Father- It is child. It is a place of duration before entering heaven where one is cleansed of the sins of the earth.

Me- Father again I ask, this place is only a temporary destination a finite amount of time, before one enters heaven.

Father- Child I have already stated that it is, get me a beer and change the channel (we had no remote control and this was the duty of the youngest child).

Me- Father, you have previously stated that heaven will have no end. Do you mean that once in heaven we will be there forever?

Father- Your simple questions irritate me, I wish you would go out and play basketball like your brothers and not ask so effeminate questions, these trouble me so, you do like girls do you not?


Me- Please father I am asking the questions, and girls are nice, when I grow up I will be fascinated with vaginas, but is heaven infinite?


Father- Yes.


Me- And father there is only one god, so would you say that god must agree with numerical laws, for if I said there were two gods you would say I was wrong.


Father- Have you tried baseball? For chubby boys like yourself you might find it less strenuous especially if you are a good hitter… Stop staring… Yes, god must follow numerical laws.


Me- Then father there is no such thing as purgatory.


Father- As a catholic, it is my duty to beat you to within an inch of your life to defend the laws of Jesus, but to keep with religious tradition I must be drunk like a Frenchman, get me wine, or explain your heresy.


Me- Father you clearly stated that Purgatory was a temporary duration and heaven was infinite, and that god follows numerical law, and it is a mathematical fact that any expression over infinity is zero, therefore the duration in Purgatory would be Zero if life in heaven was infinite. Father everything you believe is a fairytale told to simpletons.


Father(wiping tears from his eyes)- Son, You are a smart little son of a bitch, but you shoulda learned to play some sports, cause its cross check time for jesus…


I mean that’s kinda how I remember it, if my memory was recorded by Ibsen. Anyways so I don’t normally believe in the common views of the religious afterlife, but after seeing the downtown east end of Vancouver last night, there must be a hell.

The East end looks like every eighties movie depiction of a US post apocalyptic society. At midnight on a Sunday the stores boarded up and graphitti riddled, highlighted by affordable sodium bulb streetlights that bring out the orange in the jaundice sallow expressions of the lost, in a society built with a supposedly strong safety net.

For the longest time I would brag to my American brothers and sisters about the effectiveness of our social engineering. But that has now been quieted forever from what I saw last night. Having driven through some of the worst neighborhoods in the US, from the projects in New Orleans, to South Central Los Angeles (not very bad at all, movies lie), to the Bronx, and to Cabrini Green in Chicago. I have seen the worst the US has to offer, and Vancouver has it just as bad if not worse. At least in those places there is some shame in the drug use, not much granted, but here they don’t bat a sedated eye.

I walked passed the prematurely aged faces of “HUNDREDS” of addicts on my way to the studio. HUNDREDS, not a couple, not ten, HUNDREDS of the undead, the new zombies. They were all ethnicities, white, lots of natives, black, hell I even saw the elusive Asian homeless guy. Everyone is being hurt by the Heroin and apparently Crack or Crystal, I’m not sure which it was but I watched enough glass pipes spark up with the tell tale flames to make it look like fireflies were mating on peoples lips in spasmodic random couplings when you glimpsed down the alleys.

I am very, very progressive in my thinking. I love freedom, I hate laws that limit ones access to drugs, BUT… something radical must be done here.

This is an embarrassment to every person living in this city. Certainly addiction is a disease, but do you let people who are infected with Typhoid walk around and get others infected? NO. So lock them up! Not in jail, not somewhere that’s hellish(what could be more so than the streets they are at present) but Quarantine them as we would any other highly infectious disease. This only makes sense, cause they get other people infected… they do, they sell it to people, they want others to use to make them feel better, its natural for it to spread itself, contain the diseased, treat them, give them free drugs, I don’t care, make it humane, but get them off the streets. INFRINGE on their RIGHTS to PROTECT the REST OF SOCIETY, be POLITICALLY INCORRECT for the GOOD OF THE MANY…

I quick read of some philosophy is in order here. Utilitarianism is not the perfect philosophy but it gives great insight into a way to lead a society in a politically complex environment. And the move that produces the greatest happiness for society would be considered the morally just one. So I would venture a move to provide these guys with a confined living environment but with access to free drugs, would make them happy, and the fact that they were off the street would make the rest of us pretty damn happy, and the fact that they wouldn’t be around top spread their hellish existence would make those who would get to avoid the trap of addiction happy. SO let’s get philosophical on their asses and make this place a better one…

Wow I’m already talking like I live here(

Now I gotta go shoot up, ciao pimp daddy’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter