Saturday, June 18, 2005

I'm starting to own the southern rooms...



It's a grace, a respect, an slight acknowledgement that makes the crowd open up. The barreling through with over confidence will put them off, and a guard comes up, southern crowds, much like most, just don't want to get hurt. That might sound strange, but when you think about it, they've been picked on for a while. Now I'm not gonna say they didn't deserve it, but the first step to peace is one side letting off on the attack, and that's what I think I'm doing with my comedy. Anyways, I have done five shows this week and all of them have been pretty amazing, and all of them are in the deep south, with deep south crowds, and you know what? They get some references better than some crowds on the coast! Yup, sure they seem to dislike pot humor a little more, but the universal language of sexual stumbling speaks loud and true, as does many other humanistic truths.

I think I might start liking it down here, sans the heat.


At my best, in the worst... nice people, but was work.

Daleville, Alabama, a town of about 10k tops with a military base for training pilots was Wednesday. The bar had no AC it was 103 degrees, holy shit mes amis. The crowd was chatty, and hot and drunk, and I don't think they liked puppies or kittens or Democrats. Being non of those(remember I am for political apathy in the US) I hoped I would have a fightin chance at chuckles. I sweat through my entire shirt, it was very similar to performing in the shower as I often do, but without all the penis tricks. I ended up doing great, they really loved me, but my dreams of female companionship were fleeting. The crowd was all taken women, and yet again, most of them were dating guys over seas in Iraq, and Afghanistan. You really start to think that this war is hitting the south with more impact than the north, as it seems more of the southerners are over there...


Another Southern girl who is making brutal relationship choices...

I did meet a couple of nice girls who happened to be in bad relationships..

The Belles a dancin..in Daleville, Al


But the one kept telling me she should marry him to make it better... hmmm, yeah that's probably true. Ralph the comic who was opening...

Tetta.

gave the girl a thorough once over with a psychological breakdown of her problems, but I think she should just do what she wants. Eventually these women will all be gay in thirty years when they realize they have bread every good guy out of existence by constantly getting together with assholes, so why change fate.


The best lookin man in Daleville... and our MC who thrilled the mixed race crowd with racist jokes... funny. wrong. funny.



Albany Georgia was a trip. NO OPENER. Cold Start with a fucked up intro. I can't tell you how hard it is to go up cold in front of a drunk bar and get them to pay attention for an hour with no opener to bite the bullet. I would say the first ten minutes were awkward, it was like I had to open for me, and that part didn't do so well, but then the rest of the show rocked. I really brought the entire place around, and when it was over the crowd was in my palm. Very scary, very out of my comfort zone. But thrilling to succeed. One girl was cute there, but she was drunk and sitting with the local chief of police. She kissed me and asked me to stick around, cause it would be worth my while. I could almost guarantee that it wouldn't so I went to wal-mart and got some vegetables and cottage cheese.

Seven hour drive to Tupelo, Mississippi, tired and again no freakin opener!, I really rocked the joint. The MC gave me some exceptionally bad advice about which comics work and which don't ... that I smiled and thanked him for, but went on and did what he said would be wrong...

This bar loves the Detroit Red Wings! Which is of course amazing for me, as my dad won the Stanley Cup playing for the Detroit Red Wings back in 52/53 season more than fifty years ago... yup my dad is that old! Anyways that made it fun, but I could tell they didn't think I was gonna be funny.

I actually love that feelin when I go in a room and you can tell they are worried because you don't seem very funny. And then the surprise and shock after the show of them realizing how wrong their initial judgment was... it's the story of my life. Cause I'm not always very funny, in fact I'm a little too deep and over analytical for my own good.. but I understand humor, and I can create it for others if I'm not too busy making myself laugh.

I am gonna go to New Orleans on Sunday to hang out with my Brother and have some fun. Hopefully I will try out my new ring:) Peace out angels....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter