Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Everybody laughed, so we need to take a meeting.

Comedy is without question subjective. Two people will often have very different feelings about the same joke, but it can also be a place to find common ground between two distinct peoples as well. But there is no absolute in Comedy.

I have long accepted that, and understand the notion. But I never wanted to take away the thing the made others laugh when it did not have that affect on me, I guess I just figured it wasn't my thing... and I moved on.

This is where college and real life become two separate entities. This is also the idea where political correctness actually undermine the truest Idea of freedom in this wonderful world.
Above is a picture of a student council meeting to discuss my show after my performance. It was a descent show, it wasn't a very big crowd, and it was demographically diverse. There was a nine year old, whom I warned the parents before I began that it might not be appropriate for a nine year old, but they said it was fine. And they did laugh all the way through my show, yet it was not OK for two eighteen year old girls who got up and left after sitting down for only two minutes in an out of context piece. Now I did not mention what was mentioned to me about what their religion was, because I don't think it really matters, and I don't think that offense necessarily comes from religion. Most deities showed examples of great tolerance and understanding in their behavior and teachings, I think this is more about self righteousness than anything else.
It's kind of sad, but its this fear that builds walls that make this world hard for everyone. But there is no logic in it. My show was anti drug, anti drinking, anti smoking, and I made fun of myself and my insecurities, as well as some very bad decisions in my life. But those would be in context if you listened to what I said, but if you just heard words you would be offended, because context comes with the message and Idea.
And I don't mind if you are offended, I'm offended everyday by things, but that is the price of my freedom to believe and function as I do in a free society.
But I don't understand why I would go to something in order to be offended, then leave then try to take away what others liked, because of my taste, that's not freedom at all.
I spoke with a lot of the kids after the show, they were very smart for college kids, they also seemed like they all enjoyed the show, at least they all told me they did on an individual basis, but as a collective they shied away from an overall positive. I was at the show and I watched and most of them were laughing most of the way through, but then afterwards they felt guilty about it...

I guess a lot of this is me over thinking it. But it was surreal. And I am always interested to see where the vast cultural divides take place in America. And this sleepy little college was a million miles from the 80 percent of the population that lives in its urban areas, and this was a microcosm of the divide we see on the news, and me voyaging fearfully into their territory and learning from them was of value, and I believe them seeing and possibly even learning something(if I have anything other than perspective) from me.
But right now there's a meeting taking place.

A meeting about jokes.

A meeting about fear of ideas.

A meeting about one person deciding what's good for another.

A meeting that serves no purpose.

If my ideas change someone's beliefs, they never truly held those beliefs and I'm not the problem.

I actually have a great deal of respect for the community, and religion of the people who were at my show tonight. And I think they are a valuable asset to our society, and are to be admired for their strong family values, and as a group some of the most patriotic Americans out there.

Which is why I can't believe there is a meeting about what is appropriate.

Cause a hundred years ago the same laws and ideas and freedoms that I believe in; That protect the wacky ideas and thoughts that I have today, also defended a struggling young religion, from people who in their ignorance tried to tell another group of people what was and wasn't ok.

that's why I can't believe there is a meeting, when there should instead be people who enjoyed the show, and people who didn't.

And both sides should be amazed that that's all it comes down to... Personal taste. Personal beliefs, and the wonder that we can share such vast differences with each other as citizens.

Not meetings that will make rules that will separate us, and make us wary, and suspicious, and distant.

I actually ended my show acknowledging the courage of those who listened to ideas they did not share, but I must say they were for the most a wonderful group, and I really enjoyed performing for them. And I would say most had a really good time, but it did end in a meeting, so certainly some did not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

follow me on Twitter